Friday, August 7, 2009

Bohinj and debrief!

(I typed up this blog July 28th and I will put pics up on Facebook)

I went to Intern Debrief with the summer interns that were in Slovenia and I found out Tuesday night that I was going to and we left Wednesday and came back late Thursday! (July 22-23) I didn’t think that I would be a part of that because I am not a summer intern and I wasn’t with the summer interns all summer, except the first 10 days I was here because we had the amazing race and training together. And they were now all going home! I am starting to have a complex because I am in my own category pretty much everywhere I go… haha… (that is something I debriefed about during our time)

But it was an awesome time for me! We went to Bohinj (which is absolutely one of the most beautiful places ever) and stayed at this farmhouse b&b! It was so cute and nice! We went up on this gondola thing and spent some alone time at the top of this mountain reflecting on the summer. It was a really good time for me to be quiet and just think. When we were done, we went to dinner at this restaurant and just sat around all evening and told stories, just laughing and enjoying rest! When we got back to the b&b, we played a long but fun game of phase 10! The next morning we got up and had breakfast and then debriefed the summer for the next 3 hours! It was really cool to see what God had done in their lives! I shared last and basically cried the whole time. Oh well! HA! So we left and went to lunch and the rest of the day, swam in the clearest, most FREEZING cold water ever. The kind that takes your breath away when come up! Oh and finished our game of phase 10! It was a beautiful couple days! I came home late Thursday night and crashed.

Friday, got up early and went to a water park with the students from high school camp! It was so good to see them! We played hard and I got lots of water up my nose☺ Then got home and packed and Johnny and I left for Kriz, which is held at a place called Kranjskja Gora, around 6. (KRIZ will be my next blog) Needless to say, at this point IM STILL EXHAUSTED!!! It is seriously go, go, go, non-stop!

But I would love to share some of what I shared at intern debrief about some feelings and things God has taught me this summer because I believe that the Lord works through our vulnerability and authenticity. So here I go! One struggle I’ve had recently is ‘my place here’. I feel like everyone has had a specific role and I’ve just kinda been wherever. ESI (extended summer intern) is just kinda a weird position. I feel incredibly blessed to be here. Like most times when I look outside, I’m like, ‘is this seriously my life right now?’ I really am trying to soak up every up every single second! I'm really not sure how to put into words whats inside. Right now the only concrete things that I can say that the Lord is teaching me is DIE TO SELF and LOVE even when you feel like you can’t. I have had so many moments (like right now) that I feel very alone. There is NO ONE else in the same position as me and having someone to relate to right now would be really nice, but I think it’s a part of what God wants to teach me.

So a short summary of things I shared:

• No one else is in the exact same position as me/ feeling out of place at times, yet know this is where God has called
• Still learning from things that were taught at intern training
• How powerful my prayer time was with J and B and how the Lord is still using that
• Camp exhaustion and being homesick
• Dying to self
• Am I fully surrendered?
• This waiting position I'm in and trusting the Lord provide

After I shared, David gave me a really encouraging way to look at being away from my family! We are a lot alike, in that we are wired for family, and he said that he looks at it like its his tithe or his offering. Kind of like a drink offering, it doesn’t burn or smell and it doesn’t make smoke, its pretty much invisible. No one else sees it but the Lord and it is PRECIOUS to Him! So I have a great new perspective on how to look at feeling homesick! Thank you Lord!!!

5 comments:

  1. literally loved these blogs. i DIDN'T want them to end. i love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara-- I'm so glad to know what's going on and get a glimpse of how you are feeling right now. I missed you more and more just from reading these blogs! Okay now I'm starting to cry... ANYWAY- I agree totally that you're being away from your family is an offering. It IS a huge thing to sacrifice being with the people you love to do God's work. Huge, Sara!!!

    I'll be praying for rest and renewal. Please remember you have lots of people praying for you over here!!

    Love you SO MUCH,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've probably told you before but that is exaaaactly how I felt in Mada...the part about feeling alone and there being NO ONE else in my position, no one to relate to at all yet that being what I wanted most...so, I guess in one sense, you aren't alone :) I've been there and if I survived and am better for it, I KNOW you will be too! Because you're right, God is teaching you through it so much. Actually, a couple months ago when I was home I ran into a woman I hardly know that my mom works with and she said it was the weirdest thing, that the past couple weeks she had felt such a clear word from God to pray for me, on more than one occasion, and that she really felt like God wanted her to tell me, "Remember the lessons you learned in Mada." Hoooooow crazy is that??? A month or so later it finally hit me...that is EXACTLY what I needed in my life...to remember that time of being so totally on my own that I NEEDED Him, that I actually depended on Him because I couldn't get by on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, double post on accident! ok, now triple! I had issues with posting :)

    ReplyDelete